To lose weight you don’t necessarily need to eat less, sometimes it’s just a matter of making other choices. I’m not saying you should only eat light or fat free products, I’m actually not a big fan of all the light products. There are a lot of other different thinks you can do that can help, but you probably never thought about it.
- Instead of using butter on your sandwich, try using some healthy alternatives like hummus, avocado, (low-fat) cream cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese,…
- Eat more vegetables. Remember that during dinner half of your plate should be vegetables! Try to vary every day and make sure your different vegetables have different colours. Different colours have different vitamins and minerals. Good ways to prepare your daily portion of veggies is steaming, cooking, roasting, grilling,… or just raw.
- Choose for whole grain products. For example brown or wild rice, bulgur, quinoa, barley, buckwheat, oats (oatmeal), rye flour (rye bread), whole-wheat bread,… Whole grain products are a good source of fiber. They make you feel full longer. Help control blood glucose levels and blood cholesterol. Prevents constipation. In other words nothing but benefits.
- Red sauces are in general less fat and high in energy than white sauces…
- Drink green tea after your meal. It contains various bio-active compounds and is a source of antioxidants. Green tea has many benefits. It could help you lose weight, lower your blood pressure and cholesterol, it can help against depression and is even good for your skin. In Japan it’s really common to drink green tea. Even if you don’t believe the health claims of green tea, it might be a healthy alternative as a dessert to finish your meal.
- Eat spicy food. You’re a lot less likely to overeat when your food is spicy.
- Work for your food. When you eat nuts, you can eat a handful of ready peeled nuts and then you’ll probably eat them in a matter of seconds or you can choose for nuts that are still in the shell. The second choice will take you a lot longer to eat, so you’ll enjoy eating for longer.
- Instead of cereal you could choose for oatmeal. It has a lot less sugar and contains more fibers. Oatmeal can give you a full feeling for long time. It doesn’t have to be boring, you could add fruits, nuts, or seeds, but don’t exaggerate otherwise it can become a very big meal.
Read more about healthy nutrition in my book “Making Weight & Everything Else”